Thursday, August 21, 2008

Suitable Weather

Ever notice how the weather can reflect your mood? We're being hit by Tropical Storm Fay's bands so we're getting bursts of strong rain. I've been spending the day with bursts of tears. I found out this morning that my wonderful friend, Joyce Howell, passed away. Joyce had been sick for a couple of years now. She had a stroke a few months ago and another a couple of weeks ago. I didn't go visit her when we were home in June. I cannot even being to tell you how I regret that. She was one of my favorite people in the world.

The last time I spoke to Joyce was when we found out we were moving to Savannah. I sat down and wrote her an e-mail. Not two minutes after I hit send, the phone rang. It was Joyce! She had not yet received the e-mail, but had had an impression that she should call me. We spoke for several minutes. She had never called me before. I am so glad I was able to tell her "I love you" at the end of that call.

Joyce was a tiny Southern woman with a huge heart. We attended church together for years without really knowing each other. Then I got a job working with her at DG Accounting. I knew on day one that I was going to love spending time with her. It never mattered that she was my dad's age. We just hit it off. She was so fun! She always looked sharp. She told me one time that she always shaved her legs. In fact, she said, "Honey, can you believe some women DON'T shave their legs every day? What is wrong with them?" And she often sported an anklet. You could not help but love her.

Her poor little body just couldn't take life anymore. She fought and fought to get better, and we often thought she was taking a good turn. But it just wasn't happening. I'm so sad I'll never see Joyce again in this life. I'm sad I won't be able to give her a hug when I go visit my folks in Florida. I'm sad I won't hear her Southern accented voice telling me stories of how odd people are in the things they do. I am sad her husband won't have her to protect anymore. He's this great big man who loves his little wife like you have never seen. I'm sure his heart is aching today and will ache every day the rest of his life. She was also a devoted mom to three boys. Well, boys once, but men now. They loved their momma and they listened to her.

I take so much comfort in Plan of Salvation. I know Joyce is fine and that she'll be ready to greet me, probably wearing an anklet, when it's my time to go home. She was a wonderful Christian. She was a wonderful example. If Heaven rejoices with the arrival of everyone, it must have given an extra shout when she returned. I'm afraid I'm just selfish and wanted her here a little longer.

What Is This Thing That Men Call Death
By President Gordon B. Hinckley (1910–2008)

What is this thing that men call death,
This quiet passing in the night?
’Tis not the end, but genesis
Of better worlds and greater light.

O God, touch Thou my aching heart,
And calm my troubled, haunting fears.
Let hope and faith, transcendent, pure,
Give strength and peace beyond my tears.

There is no death, but only change
With recompense for victory won;
The gift of Him who loved all men,
The Son of God, the Holy One.

1 comment:

Marni said...

So sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure she knows you think all these beautiful things about her.

Our Family

Our Family
Last visit to Temple Square