Tuesday, August 12, 2008

NOW I understand!

I get the schools now. The administration thinks we are inner city and our kids are in gangs. No kidding. The principal at Lily's school got onto Lily twice today. Yes, LITTLE LILY! GOOD LILY!

When I went to drop Lily off, we realized she had some blood under her nose, so I didn't have her get out. Instead, I pulled forward so that we weren't in the way of other cars and she could clean her nose. She gets out after and the principal got in her face. I was already leaving when I saw it in the rear mirror. I thought I would just let is slide. It's only the second day and I don't want to have the principal remember Lily, you know?

Then I go to pick her up, we get home, and realizes she forgot a folder. No biggie. I drive her back to school and we walk in. The principal says, "Can I help you?" - and not in a nice tone. I tell her, "Oh, it's nothing big. Lily just forgot her homework." Okay, it's the second day of school. Kids forget. The principal is stoops over and points in Lily's face "Today I will let you in. But not again. We do not let students go to their lockers after school because we do not have security in the hall." I just took Lily's arm and kept walking. How about, "Okay, you can go today, but try to remember from now on because we don't normally let kids back in after school." ARGH!!! I am having a hard time not being confrontational. There's no reason to be rude to the kids. It just makes them want to rebel - you're already getting in trouble, may as well do what you want.

HUGE amounts of control going on here. I told Lily that we are just going to let it slide off our backs. I also told her to keep me posted because if the principal crosses the line, I'LL be in HER face.

Ah - feels good to vent. The principal is lucky she didn't make Lily cry. That would constitute crossing the line.

Going to go hug that little Lily. She's such a rebel. ;)

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Last visit to Temple Square