Monday, April 22, 2013

Putting on the Armor of God

For my friends who aren't LDS, let me give you some background before I post.  LDS teens in 9th to 12 grade attend seminary.  Usually (unless you live somewhere that offers it during the day) it is an early morning religion class.  Each school year, the youth study a different set of scriptures.  This year, we are studying the New Testament.  (I say "we" because, this year, I am one of the two teachers for the 9th and 10th graders.)  I was worried about having to get up so early and not only teach, but be in a good mood about it.  I am  was not a morning person.  It's amazing how the Lord qualifies us for our callings in life!  Getting up has not been a problem.  Not once.  Yes, you see the miracle in that.  But I digress...

Lily has gotten up at 5 am the past two school years to attend seminary.  Last year, before I taught, I was a naughty mom and would sometimes yell down the hall, "Hey, Lily!  Why don't you sleep in an extra hour?  You can ride the bus to school with your sisters."  She would always turn me down and do what was right - get up and go to seminary. 

Well, today I have witnessed another strength of our awesome daughter.  Lily found out, at the end of last week, that her English class would be reading, "Of Mice and Men."  I know this book is a classic and has great historical value and bla bla bla.  But it also has vulgar language, including the Lord's name being taken in vain quite a bit.  So here's our kid, who strives diligently to be as morally clean as possible, faced with a dilemma.  Does she stay quiet?  Does she sit in class and listen to her English teacher read this book to them?  Guess what she chose.  She chose to ask for an alternate assignment. 

I'm so proud of her I could bust.  It wasn't easy.  The teacher was cold about it and sent Lily into the hall with her new book and worksheets.  The other kids didn't understand what Lily's problem was.  All of that is not fun, but it is of no consequence because Lily stood for truth and righteousness today. She talks the talk and she walks the walk.  She put on the full Armor of God and this mom is beyond grateful for her example. 

No comments:

Our Family

Our Family
Last visit to Temple Square